Thursday, July 3, 2014

Beginning the co-teaching relationship...





The most critical component to success in co-teaching is within the relationship between the two teachers. There can’t be any generalities made regarding prior relationship between the two, length of time spent in teaching, prior experiences in teaching. I’ve seen great partnerships develop between two brand new teachers who never met before as well as teachers that new each other professionally for years. Just like the foundation of a good marriage is formed through shared experiences, open and honest conversation, and the development of shared values and goals, a co-teaching partnership is shored up using similar strategies.

The co-teaching pair can begin by considering such issues as student discipline, sharing how they engage students in learning, instructional methods and routines, monitoring learning and feedback to students, use of cooperative structures, and previous success with differentiating learning.


Talking together about their own values and ideals will help them form a shared vision for their class. Co-creating a “brand” for their class will help them begin to see their journey as a shared one while they grow to learn about each other’s strengths and quirks.

Here are some great resources to get started:





4 comments:

  1. Hi there! Found your blog on the blogging challenge :)
    We don't have a lot of co-teaching at our campus but we do a ton of team teaching and so much of what you said really applies to that partnership as well. I think one of the biggest "musts" when sharing students is that you trust your partner and that you communicate regularly. A good co-teacher/partner teacher can make or break you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so timely! Glad I found you through the blogging challenge! Today I was having lunch with my friend/teacher who is going to be co-teaching next year. I am sending her to your blog ASAP! Thanks for so much good information.
    Alyce

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will have my first co-teacher this year. I'm looking forward to it, but also feeling a lot of anxiety, as I am switching from 5th grade to 8th grade. I will definitely take the initiative to sit down with my co-teacher and use the materials you linked to. I think they will help with the conversations that need to happen. Thank you for writing about this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. More books for the summer reading list! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete